In this article on FunNaija.com, I will explain in detail how to check your ICAN registration number.
ICAN is one of the two professional accountancy associations with the regulatory authority in Nigeria, the other being the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN).
ICAN was created with the sole purpose of encouraging professionalism in the accountancy profession in Nigeria. It started with 250 members and has now developed to over 35,000 members today.
Its mission statement is “to produce world-class chartered accountants, regulate and continuously enhance their ethical standards and technical competence in the public interest.
In Nigeria, to operate as an accountant, you must be a member of ICAN and to become a member, you must register. Nevertheless, being a member of ICAN has nothing to do with whether or not you studied accountancy or a related course.
After registration, go to their official website to check your registration number or click http://icanig.org/new/students/professional-reg-number to check it directly.
Membership Requirements for ICAN
- A university degree or Higher National Diploma from any ICAN accredited Polytechnic.
- The O-level result with at least five (5) credits.
- A recent passport photograph.
How to Register for ICAN
The following are the steps to register to become a member of ICAN:
- Go to any Fidelity or Zenith Bank branch to obtain a PIN voucher at a non-refundable fee.
- Log in to the ICAN website with the information on the PIN voucher.
- Navigate and click on the Student’s Professional Registration.
- Fill in the required information on the form.
- Scan a recent passport photograph of yourself on the form.
- Click on the “Submit” on the page to submit the form.
- Print out a copy of the application form.
- Sign the printed application form
- Get a chartered accountant as your referee or your sponsor.
- Write your referee or sponsor’s name, membership number, and phone number.
- Avail of the printed application with the photocopies of your credentials to your referee for certification.
- Then attach the original copies of your PIN voucher, bank teller, application form, and two copies of signed passport photographs.
- Then send the completed form to the ICAN head office in Lagos. Your application will be reviewed and if granted, you will be granted a student registration number. Your registration number becomes your login detail on the ICAN website.
How to Check ICAN Registration Number
First of all, you must register so that ICAN can capture your biometric data. After registration, visit their official website to check your registration number or click on this link http://icanig.org/new/ to check it directly.
Thanks for reading!